Senior Software Engineer
Vela is an independent global leader in high performance trading and market data technology. We provide the breadth of coverage and depth of expertise demanded by today’s multi-asset, multi-region electronic trading environment.
Our clients benefit from white-glove global customer support and professional services from an experienced team comprised of seasoned financial services industry experts and cutting edge technologists. We have a proven track record of powering big banks, small trading shops, financial information firms, trading venues and everything in between.
Our products empower clients to focus on their core business strengths, leveraging their trading infrastructure by relying on our technology, expertise and experience.
Vela Trading Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be part of a multi-disciplinary team that is responsible for new development, feature additions, maintenance and support of a number of key components of our various product suites. Some traveling may be required.
- Our software is developed primarily in C/C++ on the Unix platform. Senior engineers will demonstrate working knowledge in some/all of the following – STL, Multithreading, Memory Management, Network Programming and Performance Profiling.
- Contribute to product delivery and end to end software development
- Interact with multiple stakeholders spanning Software Development, Testing and Client Support teams
- Responsible for coaching team members by providing technical direction
- Working as part of an agile environment with regular scrums and sprints
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field
- Experience in the software development lifecycle from design, implementation (C, C++), through testing and integration
- Understands the implications of code changes and feature enhancements
- Capable of concisely communicating designs, code and applications to a client- facing standard
- Experience in adopting and providing feedback on new processes/technologies within teams
- Contribute to technical aspects of project delivery, planning and risk management
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Five years plus industrial programming experience in C/C++
- Effective communication – good oral and written interpersonal skills adequate for dealing & communicating clearly with people from all levels of the organisation
- Excellent problem solving and analytical abilities
- Demonstrable ability to work as a self-starter requiring limited supervision
- Proven track record of exceptional performance, high productivity and meeting deadlines
- Ability to multitask and prioritise responsibilities
- Previous Technical lead experience on one or more projects from start to end delivery
- Experience with messaging protocols and technologies
- Other languages such as Java, .NET, SQL a plus
- Capital Markets and/or Financial Services knowledge (Trading, Market Data, FIX protocols)
- Knowledge of Code Analysis / Hygiene concepts and tools (Coverity, Valgrind)
- Experience with developing multi-threaded applications
- Development on a UNIX platform (Linux or Solaris)
- Previous experience with automation (build environments and Regression testing) alongside experience of scripting languages, in particular Python, used within Continuous Integration and Test Frameworks
For any further information please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call +44 289 568 0209.