Senior Software Engineer
Vela is a leading independent provider of trading and market access technology for global multi-asset electronic trading. Our software enables clients to successfully execute on their trading strategies and manage risk across multiple fragmented markets, liquidity pools, and data sources. We help firms successfully differentiate and innovate in an ever-changing, increasingly-regulated and fiercely-competitive landscape, while also reducing total cost of ownership.
Vela’s ticker plant, execution gateways, trading platform, and risk and analytics software deliver a unique, ultra-low latency technology stack for electronic low-touch and Direct Market Access (DMA) execution and pricing. We leverage the latest innovations in technology to deliver cutting-edge performance, features and reliability. Our modular stack is accessed through a single set of trading, data and risk APIs and can be delivered as-a-Service from multiple co-location data centers globally.
With access to more than 200 venues, Vela provides global coverage across all major asset classes. Clients are supported by an award-winning team of technical and business experts available 24x7 from our multiple offices in the US, Europe, and Asia. Vela’s clients include traders, market makers, brokers, banks, investment firms, exchanges, and other market participants.
Vela Trading Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be part of a multi-disciplinary team that is responsible for new development, feature additions, maintenance and support of a number of key components of our various product suites. The role requires:
- Analysis, design and development of exchange connectivity for trading and market data, and supporting infrastructure
- Ownership of components through the full software development life cycle, and interaction with other stakeholders, from client support, development and quality assurance
- Mentoring other team members
- Participation in agile processes
- Development of knowledge regarding the finance and trading domain
- Follow the SDLC, including drafting and estimation of own and other developer tasks, adherence to coding standards and participation in code review
- Produce development deliverables of a high quality and to agreed schedules
- Liaise with Team Lead for technical direction and support in technical solutions, design and planning
- Work with QA to provide detailed test-cases and acceptance criteria
- Be or become an expert in the finance / trading domain
- Perform design, analysis, and/or R&D tasks as directed
Knowledge, Skills & Experience Required
- 5+ years commercial experience in C++, and demonstrable high standard of programming ability
- Excellent problem solving, problem management and analytical skills
- Experience working within an agile team environment, including drafting and estimation of tasks, participation in stand ups and sprints, writing of unit tests, and use of source control
- Working knowledge of computer network programming and protocol development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Degree in a Computing Science, Computer Engineering (i.e., B.Sc, B.Eng, MSc, PhD) or equivalent
- Qualification and/or demonstrable experience in software development process execution
- Awareness of and participation in builds and release process, and managing code changes within a shared code base
- Ability to effectively communicate analysis and design problems and solution proposals
- Experience developing for multi-threaded, message based systems for Linux or Windows platforms
- Familiarity with C++11/C++14 and/or Boost C++ libraries
- Experience leading small teams of developers and/or testers, and planning/running sprints
- Knowledge of finance or trading technologies (e.g., FIX protocol)
- Development using other languages, such as Python, C# or Java
- Expertise in Git and TeamCity, or similar tooling
- Attention to detail and a quality focus
- Able to travel interstate/internationally if/when required
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
For any further information please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call +1 646 713 2773.